Birthdays and back to school

Ah, September… we meet again.

For as long as I can remember, September has always held a very special place in my heart. It marks a new year full of hope and anticipation, but without the countdown or confetti. A new beginning, a new class, new clothes, a new season, new colours, new bedtimes, a new approach to being. Change is imminent, perhaps more so than any other time of year.

For me, this year, change is particularly significant.  I will not be starting off the school year as I have had for the past twelve years – sharpening pencils, labelling notebooks and greeting familiar faces.  Having been offered a short-term position as an Acting Vice-Principal, I will be embarking on a new adventure at another school. (gulp)

Change is in the air, alright.  And with that comes it’s own set of challenges and anxieties. Gone in an instant are the comforts of being able to find anything I need, sharing “remember-when’s” with friends, parents and colleagues, and knowing virtually every face that walks down the hallway past my classroom. My school has been a place of work that has felt more like a home and for that I feel like the luckiest gal on the planet.

Change is a funny thing, though.  As scary and uncertain and unpredictable as it is – without it we’re unable to truly propel ourselves forward, nor does anything yield a greater excitement.  Looking back – I got engaged, married and purchased our first home, all in the last year and half.  Change has been pretty good to me, I’d say (knock on wood).

So on this eve of the first day of the 2012-2013 school year, whatever level of change is on your doorstep, I hope you embrace it. I know I will.

(Oh, and a happy birthday to my itty, bitty blog! Two years and counting.)

(image)

1. Jenny says:

Congratulations! That is a lot of life changes in a short period of time and they all sound fantastic. Good luck with this newest change.

2. Amanda Dowling says:

Ms Sumra!!! You were missed so much this morning. We were so looking forward to seeing your welcoming smile, easing any anxieties the children had about grade two. I feel very privileged to have been able to experience you as my child’s teacher. The next grade one teacher in rm 105 has very big shoes to fill. Best of luck in your new job. Any school administration will benefit from the kind of sensitivity, equality, and justice that you embody. JH school will miss you.

all the best,
    Amanda Dowling

PS: be sure to look me up as a care provider, should you ever need to. I would love to cross paths with you again!

3. Dorothy Sterling says:

Congrats on your new position! How exciting
    I can remember shaking on the phone when I was told of a big change, scared and happy at the same time. I know you will excell.
    Dorothy

4. Neetu says:

Happy Birthday Pancakes for Recess!! Congrats on the change…you’re gonna be amazing…this new school is so lucky to have you!

5. Effy Katahan says:

Congratulations!!! The journey of life is about facing a constantly changing dynamic environment – it is definitely not easy but it sure can be exciting, – at times.

We sure are going to miss you. You have been a wonderful addition in our journey through the academic system. We hope to see you again but if not, remember you left a strong, positive and lasting impression. We will talk about the wonder of Ms. Sumra for years to come.

All the best in you professional and personal journey.
    Little Miss Zee, Effy and Greg

6. jinili chand says:

Congrats Ms Sumra! We are so happy for you! It was indeed a privilege knowing you and I am certain that your present school made a very smart choice by giving you that position … you have all the qualities for it and we are once again so very proud to have known you.

You deserve it, Ms Sumra!

7. Aurora says:

This is my first time visit at here and i am truly happy to read everthing at alone place.

8. I’d like to find ouut more? I’d like to find out more details.

9. Your style is so unique in comparison to other folks I have read stuff
    from. I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark his web site.

10. arthur says:

You are so awesome! I don’t think I have read
    through something like that before. So good to
    find somebody with some unique thoughts oon this issue.
    Really.. thanks foor starting this up. This site is one thing
    that iis required on thee web, someone with some originality!